101 in 1001 for my 1000th post
So, for my 1000th blog posting I wanted to do something special. And I decided that the something special would be a “101 things to do in 1001 days” list. The first time I saw one of these was on Dave’s blog and I may or may not have soon after written a parody version called “102 things to do in 1,000,001 days” on a satire blog that may or may not have been removed from the Internet for possible libel issues. Anyway.
The idea behind this list is to come up with 101 things you want to do – things you’ve always meant to do but haven’t gotten around to, things you want to challenge yourself to accomplish and, let’s be honest, a few things that sound good but you are pretty sure you’ll do so that you can gain the satisfaction of checking at least a few things off your list. As well, it’s important that the goals are clearly defined/measurable (or, as we say in the Research Methods world – you need an “operational definition” of each) so that you know whether or not you’ve done it. Props for this idea go to triplux, who appears to be the creator of this idea (or, at least, is the first Google hit for “101 in 1001″).
So, after much thinking and pondering and reflecting and considering and deliberating and contemplating and ruminating and reading the thesaurus, I have come up with the following 101 items that I intend to do in the next 1001 days:
- go to New York City
- leave the continent
- live above ground
- run another half marathon1 [accomplished: 3 May 2009]
- run the full marathon in Sacramento (i.e., the net downhill one!)
- assemble my last 7 years worth of photos into scrapbooks2
- give something a cool name (i.e., not just adding the letter “y” to the end of what the thing is a la “froggy” or “puppy”)[accomplished: by naming my car Zaphod Beeblebrox the Car. Also: named my new MacBookPro Chloe. I think I’m on a roll with this one. The secret – steal names from books & TV.
- get my blog onto WordPress.org [accomplished: 25 Jan2009]
- participate in a political campaign
- attend Women’s Campaign School
- conduct some kind of education research project
- conduct another systematic review for the Cochrane Collaboration
- publish a paper in a scholarly journal on the training program that I [used to] run [Completed. Sometime in 2011 - don't actually know what the exact date was!]
- write something creative (e.g., a story, a script or a poem)[Accomplished October 5, 2011]
- change a life [accomplished: Jan-Apr 2009, I taught a Research Methods course in which I required students to write a research proposal. One student did her proposal on a topic related to the place she volunteered at and after the final exam she told me that because she learned so much doing that project, she had become the expert at the place she volunteered at on that topic and they hired her for a summer job!]
- write a book [Actually, this is in progress! I can't say more than that, though]
- teach a course at a college [Completed. Taught Stats 100 at the Justice Institute of BC; January to April 2011]
- ski at Whistler 3
- ski at Big White
- ski on Grouse Mountain
- learn to snowboard (or at least try it)
- go surfing & actually stay up on the board
- skate at GM Place[Accomplished: 8 February 2009 - Thanks for raising more than $150 for the Skate for A Cureskate at GM Place! fundraiser, I got to skate at GM Place!]
- coach a hockey team
- hike Black Task
- hike the West Coast Trail
- write a computer program[Accomplished: October 5, 2011
- start a business
- learn French (at least a little bit. Like more than just what’s on the cereal box)
- write a blog entry entitled Word to Your Moms, I Came to Drop Bombs4[Accomplished: 26 July 2009 - Done]
- read something by Salman Rushdie5[Note: I have acquired The Satanic Verses. One step closer to actualizing this item! w00t!] [Note 2: Read the first few pages of this book in December 2010. Wasn't super excited by it, but I'll push through][Note 3: It's now July 2011 and I so have not pushed through]
- visit Macchu Picchu6
- for one week, go to bed at 9 and read non-work related books7
- read The Last Spike by Pierre Berton8 [Note: I own this book, courtesy of Sarah, so I'm one step closer to this one!] [Note 2: Started reading it on my flights to Toronto/back to Vancouver in December 2010 and so far I'm liking it!][Note 3: I have so dropped the ball on this one!]
- take pole dancing lessons. Like, a whole set of them, not just the intro class.
- beat my current record of 10 points in a hockey season (which I achieved on the Blazing Blades team in both the Winter 2007/08 and the Spring 2008 seasons)[Note: I ended the 2009/2010 season with a meager 6 points. But I have high hopes for the 2010/11 season and am even currently being courted to join a second team!)][Accomplished March 2011].
- teach the same course at UBC twice9 [Accomplished Sept-Dec 2009: taught the same course in the Winter '09 term as I did in the Winter '08 term. Then I taught it *again* in Winter 2010!]
- participate in the “365 Day Challenge”. This involves taking a self-portrait every day for 365 days and posting it to the 365 Day Flickr group. [Completed 21 June 2011: See here]
- make a list of 100 things that make me happy[Note: I've started this one, but I want to make a really genuine list, so I'm taking my time to come up with things that really, truly make me happy. So far I have 25 63 items on the list.][Accomplished 10 October 2011]
- buy a Smart Car[accomplished:15 May 2009. I honestly thought this one was going to be a long shot!]
- buy an iPhone[Accomplished: 6 November 2009!]
- skate on the Rideau Canal
- take Tod to a Vancouver Canucks game [Accomplished: 13 January 2009, Canucks vs. NJ Devils. Next time I should try to take him to a game when the Canucks win!]
- take Tod to a Vancouver Giants game
- go to a BC Lions game. [Accomplished: 3 October 2010]
- go to a Vancouver Canadians game
- see a Vancouver White Caps game[Accomplished 15 August 2009 - Alicia & Paul took Tod and I to a game! Then Alicia & Paul took me to another game in spring 2011!]
- start composting
- keep a plant alive for a whole month[Accomplished: June 2009 - note: it's still alive a whole YEAR later, as of May 2010 Note 2: Sadly, the plant is no longer with us.]
- write in my journal every day for a month
- go kayaking
- camp at Joffre Lake
- visit Galiano Island
- visit Salt Spring Island
- visit Bowen Island
- save $500 in coins10 [In Progress: I have a lot of change in a jar. Not sure how much, but it's got to be on its way to $500! Note: rolled it up and I have about $60. That's not $500, but it's also not nothing.]
- deposit that $500 worth of coins into my 40th birthday savings account [Note: this will be more difficult now that I will needs coins for the laundromat]
- write 10 friends real letters, on paper, with a pen and snail mail them[Accomplished October 8, 2011: #1 - letter to Kalev for his (belated) birthday, May 2010. #2 - Wrote a letter to Madeline, Jan 2011]. #3 – Wrote a letter to Dan, May 15, 2011. #4 – Wrote a letter to Sarah that I sent with her soy creamer voucher, July 25, 2011. #5 – Wrote a letter to Dan that I sent with his soy creamer voucher, July 25, 2011. (OK, I know these last two are lame, but they still count) #6-10+ – I mailed out 60 thank you cards for the Longest Game for CF and far more than 4 of them had very long notes in them, because there were so many people who provided me with so much support that I needed to thank them for. So that totally counts, as they were long enough to be letters and were written on paper with a pen and snail mailed!
- follow Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating every day for 1 month11
- go to a Bikram yoga class [note: I went to a "hot yoga" class on 22 May 2009, but I don't think it was officially "Bikram." Plus, the place wasn't really hot enough, imho. So, yeah, I haven't done this one yet, but I've come close!] Went to TWO Moksha Yoga classes (or “practices” as they call them) in January 2010 (it was the place that wasn’t hot enough the first time I went, but was plenty hot enough these times! Then I did a month of hot yoga at West Coast Hot Yoga. So, yeah, I think I’ve got this one covered. Accomplished]
- go to a spa for a facial [Accomplished: 14 April 2009 at Heavenly Soul in Kerrisdale. I give it a resounding "meh." Didn't help that the stuff they used smelled very perfumey. I hate perfumey.]
- visit 5 new American states12[I went to Oregon in July/August 2011. So I 1/5th completed this one!]
- visit Newfoundland
- visit Nova Scotia
- visit New Brunswick [Accomplished:17 June 2009]
- visit the Yukon
- visit Nunavit
- do a 24 hr blogathon[Accomplished on: 26 July 2009]
- do 15 minutes of yoga every morning for a month
- sort through my many boxes of papers (most of which contain papers from my thesis), recycling the papers I don’t need and filing the ones I do need [Update: went through a lot of them when I moved in February 2010, but still have more to go through!]
- find out my credit rating [obtained a copy of my credit report - wondering if I really need get the credit rating, which costs money!]
- determine my net worth[In Progress: Sarah has given me a handy-dandy Excel spreadsheet to calculate this, but I need to figure out how I determine how much my car is "worth," as well as how much money is in my pension in order to get a "net worth" value].[Accomplished - 2 January 2010. I actually accomplished this a little while ago, but forgot to write it down here and don't recall the actual date. I've been tracking it monthly and this is the month where I went from a negative net worth to a positive one. w00t!]
- buy a bike. Completed 16 July 2011.
- bike to work every day for two months [Note: now that I work in Surrey, this is very, very unlikely to happen!] [Note 2: now that I'm moving to Surrey, this is again a possibility!]
- record a cooking show (at least 5 episodes)
- publish said cooking show online
- participate in five research projects (as a subject/participant, not as a researcher)[Accomplished. 1 - Jan 23, 2009 - completed a study on sex & cognition that had something to do with dopamine (I think). I had to spit in a tube and play computer games; 2 - enrolled in a Pap smear study. TMI? 3 - May 19, 2010 - completed an online survey for a dissertation for a PhD candidate at ]; 4 – completed two surveys for research being conducted by a PhD candidate at http://sexresearchandthecity.com/ 5+ – I’ve participated in a bunch of surveys conducted to learn more about evaluators as well as one that was a needs assessment for evaluation workshops for Public Health leadership.
- sell counter top dishwasher on Craig’s List13[Accomplished: February 2010]
- see at least one Bard on the Beach performance14
- put up a Christmas tree and decorate it with chili peppers15[Note: I did put up a Christmas tree for 2009, but totally forgot about the chili peppers!] [Accomplished 27 November 2010]
live blog something[Accomplished 22 September 2011].
- go to bed every night for a week with all the dishes cleaned [Note: I've managed to string 3 or 4 nights of this in a row, but still haven't managed 7! Note 2- now that I have a dishwasher, this seems a lot less meaningful][Accomplished on Jan 5, 2011!]
- achieve inbox zero and maintain for one full week (where “maintain” = by the time I go to bed each night) [I haven't actually done this yet, but I have a plan for it. This plan, in fact] [Another update: I'm following the plan and go to bed most nights with my inbox at zero, but I haven't actually counted them, so I'm not going to check this one of the list until I count them to make sure].[Accomplished on Jan 8, 2011! w00t!]
- up my blog readership to an average of 200 readers a day16 [In Progress: I'm up to an average of 116 readers a day for 2009 (as of 24 June). I haven't actually done anything to try to get more readers. They just kinda showed up. Note 2: Now up to an average of 158 so far (as of July 13, 2011) in 2011!]. [Note on 10 October 2011. Fell short on this one. 2009 Average = 126 readers per day; 2010 Average = 122 readers per day; 2011 Average So Far = 161 readers]
- break my current record of 460 blog views in a day17 [Accomplished: 678 blog views on 26 Feb 2009. Then blew that out of the water with my July 2009 Blogathon - 1,181 views]
- write a blog posting about the Car Co-op18[Accomplished: 4 October 2011]
- go sky diving
- resurrect my teaching blog
- see the Dresdan Dolls in concert
- see Groove Coverage in concert
- see a show at Richard’s on Richards before it closes down – Update: FAIL! Dick’s on Dicks closed. I attended nothing there. I suck.
- devise some sort of proper back up system for my computer files[Accomplished: Signed up for Back Blaze on 15 July 2009. So not so much "accomplished" as "agreed to pay $5 per month for"]
- get my ring from my great Auntie Bernice re-sized to actually fit my finger
- buy a pair of brown dress pants19 [Accomplished:11 Feb 2009. Bought a pair from my friend, Jen, who had a pair she didn't want anymore. Of course, I wanted to buy a pair to wear with my brown heels, which I now seem to have lost!]
- bake at least one thing per month for 12 months in a row, without baking the same thing two months in a row20[Dec 2009 - tonnes o' Christmas baking; Jan 2010 - baked some Lava cakes (sure it was from a box, but it still counts!; Feb 2010 - Grandma's potato cakes (never made those before!) (also made cornmeal muffins and banana chocolate chips muffins, but those are old standby recipes) Bollocks! I seem to have missed baking something in April! And so it's back to the drawing board. May 2010 - peanut butter & chocolate squares from the Rebar cookbook], Gah! Missed June 2010! Do over! July 2010 – homemade granola, also bread (though I didn’t blog it ‘cuz it was a bit too dry. I baked better bread in August); Aug 2010 – bread pudding; Sept 2010 – Sin-Amen Buns; Oct 2010 – Cheese & Herb Bread & Spooky Halloween Eyeballs; Nov 2010 – chocolate peanut butter surprise cookies & brown sugar cookies; Dec 2010 – chocolate amaretto cheesecake and a tonne of Christmas baking; Jan 2011 – mocha cupcakes with mocha ganache and mascarpone cream; Feb 2011 – pineapple & bran muffins; April 2011 – ?, March 2011 – ?, May 2011 – apple bread, June 2011 – brownies (for my Hanky Panky party), July 2011 –
- go zip cording
- make homemade vegetarian marshmallows
- go on a polar bear swim[Accomplished: January 1, 2011!]
- recycle my old Sony Vaio desktop and my old Palm Pilot that are now just taking up space in my apartment! [Accomplished - Feb 2010, I brought them to Free Geek. Nothing like moving to motivate one to get rid of stuff!]
- scan all the photos from my pre-digital camera days
- publish a blog posting for each of the next 1001 days! [Note: this one is now impossible, given that I have missed some days of blogging, but I'm going to try to see if I can at least get 1001 blog postings in during this 1001 period, as some days I post more than one posting.][Note on 10 October 2011: I didn’t even managed to do 1001 postings – only 983, so I’m short by 18. And I’m too damn tired to write 18 postings today!}
End Date: Monday, October 10, 2011 (thank you dateandtime.com!)
This is the last one I’m stealing from Dave’s list. Promise. Also, Dan said I should go there.
Stolen from Triplux.
I always seem to get a course for one term only. I taught Nutritional Assessment last year as a sessional, but the department hired a new prof and he chose that as one of his courses to teach, so I don’t get to teach it this year. And then, this past term I taught another course as a sessional because the usual sessional needed a break from it for one term only, so I probably won’t get to teach it next year. Now I want some consistency!
i.e., ones that I haven’t been to before. Or ones where I’ve only been to their airport/airport hotel (I’m looking at you Texas, Oregon and Arizona), if I actually go to somewhere other than the airport/airport hotel.
I can’t believe I’ve lived in Vancouver for 8+ years and not once have I been to see Bard on the Beach. I like Shakespeare (I even have a minor in Drama that included a whole course in “Acting Shakespeare”). And I like beaches!
Which occurred on Friday, September 26, 2008 as a direct result of my list of the hottest players in the NHL