10 Things I Learned On My Trip to Tofino
- It’s very cold and icy at 6:35 am in Vancouver and my friends who would get up at that ungodly hour to catch a bus to the ferry to the 3 hour drive for my birthday trip totally rock.
- Ice cream products in the vending machine are extremely cold.
- BC Ferries have a vegetarian breakfast special, even though it’s not on any of their signage.
- Tim’s Horton’s veggie sandwich combo costs $4.23 after tax.
- Port Alberni is not nearly as remote as I had been lead to believe.
- Surfing is very dangerous and my heirs cannot sue Pacific Surf School should I die while using the equipment that I rented from them.
- There is a lake along the drive between Tofino and Nanaimo for which they have been unable to find a bottom.*
- My friend Sheila is warm and cuddly.
- If you arrive at the ferry terminal at 7 minutes to sailing time, rather than 10 minutes to, they will not let you board and they will make you wait 2 hours until the next ferry. For 3 freaking minutes. Bastards.
- Knowing where your surfboard is and thinking you know where you surfboard is are not the same thing insofar as they apply to the duck and cover method of not getting hit in the head with your surfboard.
*At least this is what one person told us on the drive. And we believed him. And I don’t remember where the lake was and no one knew the name of the lake. And yes, this is totally a legit thing that I learned.