Welcome to my new site!
So, I finally decided to take the plunge and self-host my blog. I registered my domain ages ago and signed up for hosting last month, but hadn’t gotten around to actually diving into until today. And, despite the fact that I probably should have spent the afternoon working on my lectures for next week, I decided I’d take a “short break” from that work to pick a theme and import my blog. And, yeah, well now it’s past midnight, but isn’t my new blog site shiny?
After looking at all 566 themes in the WordPress theme directory, I decided to go with redtopia by Jeremy Clark. But then I discovered that since my blog title (which is written in red) is so long, it partially covered the ugly red flower in the header for that theme. And red on red is rather difficult to read. Plus, the ugly red flower was, well, ugly. So I removed it. But then the header looked a little too plain, so I put in a picture of my face. Because, really, who doesn’t want to look at a picture of my face?
Then I realized that the ugly red flowers were also in the footer, only they were much smaller than the one that was in the header; so small, in fact, that you couldn’t even tell they were flowers anymore – they just looked like ugly red blobs. So I decided to cut them out and replace them with red shoes. Because red shoes rock. I searched on Flickr for a Creative Commons licensed photo that would allow me to modify/adapt a photo of red shoes and ended up finding this photo, in which the model is wearing a very fine pair of shoes, which can now be seen in the footer of my blog. In the course of looking for a usable photo of red shoes, I also discovered that searching “red heels” on Flickr will provide you with a lot of photos of very scantily clad women (and in one case, a very scantily clad man [warning, that link is NSFW]) wearing red heels. Just putting that out there, in case you are interested.
Mad props go to Kalev for his help getting me set up; specifically he found a server for us to use, installed WordPress.org on the server, then re-installed it when I told him I wanted the main page (drbethsnow.com) to use WordPress (not just the /blog subdirectory), made my too large of an xml file small enough to import so that all my old blog postings are now here, figured out why the text was so small (and the superscripts so messed up looking) in the theme and how to fix the CSS to make it look better and probably a bunch of other things that I forget.