The Junk Drawer
When I was growing up, there was a drawer in the kitchen that was known as “The Junk Drawer.” It’s where the random drawer-dwelling type things which didn’t belong in any of the other categorized drawers (e.g., the cutlery drawer) lived. “Did you look in the junk drawer??” was often the response to the question, “Mooooom, where is the such-and-such?” When I was really little, I thought it was called “The Drunk Drawer.” Which is especially odd given that neither of my parents drink.
For most of adult life, however, I have been junk drawer-less. This may or may not be because I’ve had somewhat of a junk apartment (being tidy is not one of my strengths). But recently Tod was getting rid of one of the those racks of plastic drawers (see picture on the left) and I said I could use it to house my ever-growing shoe collection1. (I may never have mentioned this on my blog before, but I have a lot of shoes). But I have recently started using the top *two* drawers as “Junk Drawers.” Clearly I’m making up for all the lost time of being junk drawer-less.
So what does one keep in the Junk Drawer. Here are some pictures of what are in mine:
- over-the-counter drugs (ibuprofen, acetaminophen)
- prescription drugs (go anti-malarials!)
- key chain
- two lanyards
- a Save-On More card thingy that you put on your key chain2
- matches (that’s random)
- vitamin and mineral supplements
- my water bottle holder & wrist band that you can store a key in (both for running)
- instruction manual for something (possibly my fridge? I can’t tell from the photo)
- a pedometer that I’m sure belongs to my old roommate (and which I have no idea how to use)
- charger for a bluetooth headset I lost a year and a half ago in San Fran
- cord for I don’t even know what
- a red ball
Hmm. It seems that I should probably get rid of most of that stuff. I guess it’s called the “junk” drawer for a reason!
- Tod had been using it to store chargers and wires and other geeky gadgetry. I’m using it primarily for shoes. I think this tells you a lot about each of us [↩]
- not sure why they thought I needed two of those, plus the actual card)
- various headphones
- business cards
- old iPod ((been meaning to put that up on Craig’s List [↩]