BC Premier #26: Bill Bennett
|Name||William (a.k.a. Bill) Richards Bennett|
|Born:||August 18, 1932 – or possible 14th, depending on if you believe Wikipedia or the CBC Digital Archives – in Kelowna, BC|
|Party:||Social Credit Party|
|Held Office:||December 22, 1975 – August 6, 1986|
- Bill is the son of Wacky. So it’s sort of the like the George Bush Sr. and Jr. thing except, as far as I know, the Bennett’s never invaded any other countries. As far as I know.
- was a businessman and real estate investor
- Sept 1973: elected as the MLA for the South Okanagan riding
- Nov 1973: elected as leader of the SoCreds
- 1975: became premier when the SoCreds knocked the NDP out of power (Bennett had refused to engage in a TV debate with Barrett during this election); re-elected in 1979 and 1983.
- he “slashed social services and gutted labour laws”, and ran TV ads that called people who disagreed with him “Bad British Columbians.” (Wikipedia)
- he spent a shit-ton of money, however, building the Coquihalla highway and bringing Expo ’86 to Vancouver
- 1996: convicted of insider trader.
- 2007: received the Order of BC.
In summary, being convicted of insider trading does not preclude one from being awarded the Order of BC. You know, in case you were planning on doing both of those things.
Image credits: There don’t appear to be any freely available photos of BB anywhere on the world wide interwebs! b00-urns!