T minus 1 week to my next half!
Because I am crazy, I decided to sign up for a half marathon that occurs on the only weekend I have off in a month1! Yet despite the fact that I am robbing myself of my only chance to sleep in for 32 days2, I’m still pretty excited about a weekend trip to Tofino – which is beautiful. My friend and long-time running partner, Alicia, and I are heading over on Saturday morning and planning to enjoy the day – fingers crossed the weather cooperates! We’ve signed up for the “carb-loading” dinner put on by the race organizers on Saturday night3, which I figure will be (a) a chance to meet some other people who are running in the race4 and (b) dinner in Ucluelet for less than $200 each.
The next day, Sunday, June 9, we run the race. June 9th was my dad’s birthday – he would have been 68 years old, so it seems appropriate to me to be running in my 8th half marathon. In his youth, my dad was a runner and I think of him often when I go running these days. I’m certainly going to be thinking of him next Sunday.
Believe it or not, despite having not even run this half marathon yet, Alicia and I have already begun to think of our next one! Since my training for this race has been minimal, due to the aforewhinedabout busy work and school schedule of late, I’m not planning on setting a personal best or anything – I’ll be happy with a finish5. But I’m thinking maybe for a fall race, I should get more dedicated and serious and see if I can’t get that elusive sub-2 hour half I’ve been dreaming about! Potential fall races include:
Did I mention that I’m crazy?
Tangentially related, why don’t you watch this old – but still hiliarious – Ikea ad?
- In truth, I didn’t really clue into the fact that it would be the only weekend I’d have off from school between May 24 and June 21. I just knew I wanted to train for a half marathon this spring, and both of the Vancouver halfs (BMO Vancouver International and Scotiabank) were on weekends where I had classes – or, I thought I had classes, in the case of Scotiabank, but it turned out in the end that I don’t have class that day, but I’d signed up for Edge-to-Edge by that point.), but the Vancouver Island Edge-to-Edge race, was not. [↩]
- When you count the weekdays starting from the last weekend I had off, which was the May long weekend. [↩]
- I’m willfully turning a blind eye to the fact that you can’t actually carb-load the day before a race because that’s not how muscle physiology works! [↩]
- *cough* single hotties *cough* [↩]
- Though if last week’s 20 km, which was much stronger than I thought it would be, is any indication, I won’t be as bad as I was fearing I might. [↩]
- I’m kidding! I’m kidding! [↩]