I last blogged about the new foods and beverages that I made this year in July. At that time, I’d made 10 out of the 19 items that I set as my goal for this year. Well, I’m pleased to report that it was merely my insufficient blogging this year, and not my lack of cooking new things that I’d never cooked before, that made it looked like I was failing on this goal. I completed the goal of 19 items on August 11 and ended up crushing my goal with a total of 26 new items made this year. Here are the ones that I did after my first two blog postings on this topic:
- Lemon, Herb, & Parm Pasta (July 16, 2019). This was from a recipe that my friend Linda shared with me. Super delicious!
- I made some mint tea with fresh mint leaves from High Garden (also on July 16, 2019). At the end of the growing season, I dried1 all the remaining leaves and now can use them to make mint tea
- My friend Kim, her boyfriend Tad, and I made teriyaki salmon at their place. I made the teriyaki sauce and carried stuff between the kitchen and the patio (where the BBQ was) as both Kim and Tad were too injured (ankle and knee, respectively) to do much walking (July 26, 2019)
- Inspired by Kim’s use of sesame oil, I made sesame chicken and some ginger beer glazed carrots to go with it (July 28, 2019).
- I made my first gluten-free baked good: gluten-free zucchini muffins, because someone at my office doesn’t eat gluten and I wanted to make some regular zucchini muffins (one of my go-to muffin recipes), but I didn’t want her to be left out. (July 28, 2019)
- After a trip to the Okanagan, I made a bunch of stuff with produce we bought there: peach crisp (Aug 9, 2019), roasted pattypan squash with red onion and zucchini (Aug 10, 2019), spicy plum sauce (Aug 11, 2019) and peach-jalapeño preserves (Aug 11, 2019) and chimichurri sauce (Aug 11, 2019), which we had with Linda and Casey would brought over some super delicious steaks!
- I made another attempt at gluten-free baking, with gluten-free, browned butter corn muffins (Aug 18, 2019) with lemon herb butter (Aug 18, 2019). The muffins were too dry, but the butter was delicious!
- Since I had the sesame oil, I made sesame garlic roasted asparagus (Aug 27, 2019)
- I made roasted green onions with the green onions we grew in High Garden and they were delish (Sept 8, 2019)
- Made some red snapper just because I saw it at the store and thought it would be fun to try (Oct 12, 2019)
As I’m sure you can tell, I like making new things that I’ve never made before, so I’m sure this goal will appear again in my list of 2020 goals!