Today I turned the-answer-to-the-great-question-of-life-the-universe-and-everything years old. And to be honest, it’s not so bad. Granted, I only feel like I’m 30 and since it’s scientifically proven that feeling 12 years younger than you actually are means you are cognitively superior, I think I’m doing OK.
Also, I’m super freaking strong, as you can see in this video where I back squatted 77.5 kg (or 171 lbs, for those of you prefer the old timey units of measure) – a new personal record for me – today:
Other highlights of the day included, in no particular order:
- sleeping in1
- a solid workout at the gym (including the aforementioned back squat PR)
- going for a walk on the Quay
- catching two new Pokemon that I didn’t have before
- perusing a thrift store and finding a skirt with POCKETS! Plus two nice shirts. But mostly POCKETS!
- playing with the kitties
- a video chat with my mother, sister, brother-in-common-law, niece, and nephew, who were enjoying a birthday cake and birthday wine (except for my niece and nephew, of course) in my honour! They even sang happy birthday to me and I got to virtually blow out the candle2.
Of course, Bethmas celebrations really started yesterday, on Bethmas Eve, as a friend took me out for lunch, then my team at work took me to dinner at Nuba before we went to the Canucks game, which we’d decided to do as a team building event, since several people on my team had never been to a hockey game before.
Bethmas celebrations continue tonight as Scott and I are going out for a nice steak dinner.
I’m contemplating having a belated birthday party at the end of the month. I was going to skip the birthday party this year, mostly because I’m stupid busy with all the classes I’m teaching this semester (in addition to my day job and my many extracurriculars). But it looks like Dr. Dan will be back for a visit, so I’m thinking maybe a party is in order…
- 42 is from Wikimedia Commons with a Creative Commons license.
- Gym video is mine, with James from my gym as videographer.
- Clip from Hitchhiker’s Guide is from BBC Studios.
- I took the day off work because who wants to work on their birthday? Especially if their birthday is on a Friday! [↩]
- Apparenlty when my sister and I were kids and our family went to EPCOT Centre there was an exhibit we saw that had a family that virtually celebrated someone’s birthday and there was a hologram cake. I have zero recollection of this – the only thing I remember from that exhibit is the hydroponic lettuce. [↩]