Sitting on the floor in SFO airport so that I can charge my iPad while I type this, since the seats in the waiting area that have plugs in them are all taken1. My flight out of SFO to Portland (where I have a layover on my way home to Vancouver) is delayed by 47 minutes (and counting). Apparently there is construction happening on 2 of the 4 runways here, so there’s tonnes of flight delays. My flight here was delayed, as was Kalev’s and several other people on our trip, for the same reason. My stopover in Portland was supposed to be 2.5 hrs so now it will be a shorter. Six of one, half dozen of the other…. assuming they don’t keep delaying my flight to PDX so long that I miss my connection to YVR2!
SF trip was super fun. Highlights include, in no particular order:
- Staying in my first Airbnb place. There were seven of us on the trip, so we got an awesome 4 bedroom apartment in the Castro. It had a full kitchen, three bathrooms3. My better price than if we’d gotten hotel rooms – especially during Pride weekend – and we all got to stay together.
- Taking my first (several) Uber rides. For the uninitiated, as I was before this trip, Uber is like the Airbnb of car rides.
- Partying every single night! On Friday night we went to Badlands, on Saturday night to Beaux, and on Sunday night to The Vestry at the Chapel. They were all pretty packed, what with it being Pride weekend and all, and we had lots of fun. Though I have to say that I wasn’t a fan of the free pouring of the bartenders – I actually prefer my spice rum and diet Coke to taste like it actually has some diet Coke in it, rather than just tasting like a glass of spiced rum!
- Super fancy dinner at Millennium, a gourmet vegan restaurant. This was the official Kalev’s birthday dinner and it was fantastic. A few people got the 5 course “summer harvest” dinner, which looked amazing but was way too much food for me. I had “steak” fries with blueberry-juniper ketchup and a vegetarian Wellington. Delicious!
- Other great eats including Lucky Creation (vegetarian Chinese), Crepe Vine, and Pork Store. Oh yeah, and Reveille Coffee. To die for!
OK, I better start packing up. Flight will be boarding soon and it sounds like there will be a fight for overhead bin space as the flight is full and they are offering to check bags for free!
- I’m sitting next to a random pole that has an electrical outlet. Traveling is so glamourous. [↩]
- Fingers crossed that does not happen! [↩]
- One was a full bathroom including tub/shower, one was just a toilet & a sink, and one was a shower & a sink. Worked well for 7 people who operated on various different schedules of when we got up/went to bed. [↩]