Mileage

With six hockey games, and a 9 km run, under my belt in the last ~week – and another hockey game1 and another 10 km run scheduled for the next two days, I’m starting to feel the mileage2.  So perhaps it’s fitting that my car hit a mileage milestone today too:

1. we’ve made it to the finals in the Easter co-ed tournament I’m playing in this weekend – w00t! []
  2. thankfully, I have a massage booked this weekend – double w00t! []

8 Responses to Mileage

1. @phreeebird says:

What does the snowflake mean?

• drbethsnow says:

I thought I'd written a blog posting about that, because that was my exact thought the first time it showed up on my dashboard, by I can't find the posting. The snowflake comes on anytime the temperature outside hits 4 degrees or lower to warn you that the roads might be slippery.

2. Darren says:

I'm curious about the rules of a co-ed hockey tournament. Do a certain number of men or women have to be on the ice on each shift? In ultimate frisbee, the rule is it's always three women and four men.

• drbethsnow says:

For this tournament, there always have to be at least two women on ice. Our team has six women, so we are all playing as forwards, with male centres and defenceman. Also, no slapshots allowed.

• Darren says:

Thanks for that. Makes sense. I'll bet you get lots of ice time.

Out of curiousity, do you think that the rules for women's international hockey should be the same as for the men? That is, for bodychecking to be fully permitted in the women's game? I do, but I was curious to hear an actual female player's opinion.

• drbethsnow says:

I absolutely think the rules for women's international hockey should be the same as for the men. I was quite astonished when I was at the women's Canada vs. Slovaki game and someone got a penalty for body checking. Until then, I had no idea it wasn't allowed in women's hockey. Any idea what the rationale is for not allowing the women to body check? Are they assuming we are too fragile?

• Darren says:

I saw a bodychecking penalty in a women's game too and thought it was pretty hilarious. Indeed, I suppose it has to do with traditional ideas around fragility.

3. drbethsnow says:

Should have Googled before I asked that. According to Wikipedia "After the 1990 Women's World Championship, body checking was eliminated because female players in many countries do not have the size and mass seen in North American players." As well, it says that "players in women's competition are required to wear protective full-face masks." Personally, I think everyone should wear full-face masks (*ducks rotten tomatoes*). And neck guards. I can see why people don't want to wear visors or face masks, because they do interfere with your vision (not as much as losing an eye from not having a face mask, mind you, but they do get in the way), but I cannot understand why anyone would not wear a neck guard. And so many people don't wear them.