So it’s Northern Voice time again! The conference just opened and Travis did a very touching tribute to Derek. I mentioned in a previous post that my first introduction to Derek was at Northern Voice 2007, when the whole crowd was asked to yell “Hi Derek!” which was videotaped for him, as he couldn’t make it to the conference that year. So Travis’s tribute ended with asking the crowd to yell out “Goodbye, Derek!” He is missed here.
Now I’m listening to keynote speaker, April Smith, talking about Storytelling From The Heart of The City.
I’m sure I’ll have lots to report as the day goes on.
So, in addition to being a panelist at the upcoming Northern Voice conference on Friday, I’m also going to have a booth at the Northern Voice Non-Profit Expo on Saturday!
When I saw that NV was, in fact, having the Non-Profit Expo as part of the conference again this year, I decided to apply to get a table to promote the Longest Game of Hockey – you know, the insanely crazy thing where I’m playing hockey for 10 days straight to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis? Yeah, that. The good people running the NV conference deemed us worthy and we were chosen as one of the non-profits who get to expo ourselves!
If you are going to be at Northern Voice, be sure to drop by our table to say hi, hear more about the game, donate to the cause or… something else, but I’m not going to tell you what that is just yet!
And if you aren’t going to be at the conference, you can totally just go to the LG4CF website and donate copious amounts of money in my name. True story!
How, exactly, did the weekend go by so fast? I fully expected this weekend to be low key and then, somehow, it got super busy! Hence, I’m writing my first blog posting of the weekend at 11 pm on Sunday night!
So, a quick recap:
- Friday night – went out with Kalev, who is in town for a couple of weeks, and his friend, Craig, for dinner and a movie.
- Saturday – ran 15 km and then went for a *much needed* massage. My run was supposed to be 16 km, but I got up too late and spent too much time chatting and then suddenly didn’t have enough time to run my full 16 km and get home and showered before my massage appointment, so I had to cut the run a bit short. Massage was awesome – painful, but oh so awesome.
- Saturday night – Went to Shalu & Deepak’s to watch the game. Though the Canucks suffered a sad defeat, it was a more entertaining game to watch than most of the Nashville series has been and Shalu made us some ridiculously good food. And then Shalu and I planned for our next spa day!
- Saturday night later on – Since the Canucks game was an early game, Kalev and I made plans to hang out after the game. Hanging out turned into “let’s go watch Thor!” My verdict on Thor – very entertaining, but Chris Hemsworth really should have spent more time in the movie with his shirt off.
- Sunday – Spent most of the day making something awesome with Kim! Something which I shall blog about in more detail soon!
Now, I’d like to be able to report that this week will be a little more chill, but somehow I’ve managed to book something every single night for the next 6 nights. And next Friday and Saturday is the Northern Voice conference, so I’m booked up those two days as well.
Can someone please tell my social life to calm down already?
So, it looks like I’ll be at panelist at this year’s Northern Voice conference. After three years of attending, I’ve finally decided to actually take part in one of the sessions. But it’s not related to NTBTWK – rather, I’m on a panel of science bloggers in a session called “The Naked Truth: Canadian Science Blogging Scene” based on my blogging over at my science nerd blog. My fellow panelists for this session are:
and the panel will be moderated by Lisa Johnson of the CBC.
So if you are going to be at Northern Voice this year, be sure to come and check us out!