Summer Has Arrived!
It’s taken until July, but summer has finally arrive in Vancouver. Huzzah!
Just the other day, Dr. Dan was lamenting that it was eleventy billion degrees in Guelph and I asked him to send some of that heat out west, where we were still getting winter weather1.
And then this happened: Central Canada heat eases as West warms up. Thanks, Dr. Dan!
This past week, and this weekend, have been gloriously full of summertime weather! And some of the summertime activities I’ve partaken in include:
- working from my coffeeshop patio office instead of the icy concrete box (a.k.a., my actual office) one afternoon
- biking along the boardwalk with my friend Patrice
- going for a walk along the boardwalk with Devon to check out the new Pier Park, which Patrice showed me on the aforementioned bike ride
- exploring some of the bike paths of new West on a nice 10 km bike ride
- patronizing2 my local Farmers’ Market on my way home from work, where I bought the most delicious local strawberries and raspberries in the history of berry-dom, along with some kale and potatoes.
- doing homework from another coffeeshop patio office while enjoying a light caramel frapp3
- doing homework on my balcony, with a beautiful view of the river4
- making a delicious Greek salad with oregano from my very own balcony herb garden5.
- enjoying a delicious Granville Island False Creek Raspberry Ale6
- sitting on my balcony, chatting with my sister on the phone!
Clearly, there are still many more summertime things to do. Things involving beaches and hiking and BBQs and drinks on patios with friends. Happily, the forecast is sunshine as far as the eye can see and plans are being hatched for all of the above! But now – it’s time to go run 9 km! And since it’s summertime, I can do that at 8 pm and it will still be daylight outside!
- Vancouver winters, of course, are of course, 10 degrees and raining. [↩]
- I’ve just discovered that “patronizing” (as in being a customer or) and “patronizing” (as in treating as if you are superior to) are spelled the same way. That is inconvenient to me as a writer. [↩]
- Which I discovered has only 100 Calories if you buy a tall one with no whip. [↩]
- I know that “homework” might not sound very sumertime-y to most, but there is not rest for an MBA student, even in the summer! [↩]
- Thanks to Devon’s brother Tyrone and his girlfriend, whose name I can’t even begin to spell, who gave us said herb garden [↩]
- Sarah, you have to come visit me in the summer time so you can try this. It’s delicious! [↩]