Happy 93rd Birthday to My Grandpa!
My Grandpa Snow was born on March 16, 1923, which means he turns 93 years old today. Out of curiosity, I checked out the year 1923 on Wikipedia to see what other things happened that year. Some of the highlights include:
- the first live broadcast of an ice hockey game was called on Feb 16, 1923 by the legendary Foster Hewitt – it was the third period of an Ontario Hockey League game and it was broadcast on the Toronto radio station CFCA (my grandpa is a big hockey fan, so that is kind of cool)
- the first hockey game to be broadcast on the radio in its entirety – a Western Canada Hockey League matchup between the Regina Capitals and the Edmonton Eskimos – was called on March 14 (2 days before my grandpa was born) on CKCK Radio in Regina, with play-by-play by Pete Parker (who I believe is also Spiderman, if I’m not mistaken)
- the first issue of Time magazine was issued on March, Warner Brothers was founded on April, Yankee Stadium opened on April 18, and the Walt Disney Company was founded on Oct 16
- the Hollywood sign (which originally read Hollywoodland) was inaugurated on July 13
- the Ottoman Empire ended after 624 years on July 24
- Canadian Sir Frederick Banting received the Nobel prize of Physiology/Medicine for discovering insulin
- Hitler was arrested on Nov 11 for leading an unsuccessful attend to overthrow the Bavarian government a few days earlier.1
Happy 93rd birthday, Grandpa!
- I always think of things like Frederick Banting winning a Nobel prize or Hitler even existing as being so long ago in history but both of those things happened in my grandpa’s lifetime! [↩]