In addition to reading, I listen to a fair number of podcasts. I typically just listen when I’m driving, so I don’t listen as much as I did when I was driving to work – I used to get a solid 40-60 minutes of podcast listening in per weekday (depending on traffic) when I was working in an office that wasn’t very close to good transit so I was driving to work everyday. But then we got moved to a different location that is not as bad to get to on transit, but I mostly read on the Skytrain and the bus; I have a 10 minute walk from the bus stop to where my office is, so I usually listen to a podcast during that walk1 We are going to be moving to a new office downtown, right near a Skytrain station, some time in the next few months, so I once that happens I won’t be listening to nearly as many podcasts – I’ll probably only listen during the only other time I really drive: on my way to the hockey rink.
Anyway, here’s some of the podcasts I’ve been listening to lately, in no particular order:
- Everything is Alive is a relatively new podcast in which inanimate objects, like a can of soda and a bar of soap, are interviewed. It’s hilarious2.
- Sea Hags is a podcast by a woman who goes to my gym and a friend of hers. I heard her talking about it one day and decided to check it out. They talk about all kinds of stuff and even when they are talking about stuff that I typically am not into, like bullet journaling and astrology, I still find it endlessly entertaining. They are currently on hiatus, but hopefully will be coming back soon!
- School of Batman is a podcast that I started listening to when Dr. Dan was on it, but I have kept listening to since. This podcast features academics talking about their research and has a short story where what they research helps Batman solve a crime.
- Very Bad Wizards is a podcast that features a philosopher and a psychologist who talk about things related to morality and neuroscience. They tend to do a lot of chit-chat at the beginning of the podcast that I could really do without, but usually make up for it by discussing interesting research and doing so in an irreverent manner that I find amusing.
I still listen to a couple of the podcasts that I last mentioned the podcasts that I listen to three years ago, but sadly some of the ones on that list have ended since then. In particular, I really miss Caustic Soda! There are also a few podcasts I started listening to, but haven’t had an episode in a long time. I’ve always thought it would be really fun to do a podcast, but it’s also apparently a tonne of work and takes a tonne of time, so probably isn’t something I’m really going to do in the near future.
- Or, if the buses are all messed up and one is not going to show up for a while at the bus stop outside the Skytrain station that I go to, then sometimes I just walk all the way from the Skytrain station to my office, so it’s a good 20 minute walk. [↩]
- Props to Capulet Communications, who recently featured this podcast in their weekly newsletter, which is where I heard about this podcast. [↩]