Blogs I’m Reading These Days
So I know I recently said that blogs are dead, but that may have been a slight exaggeration. There actually are people who still blog on a somewhat regular basis and I thought I’d share some of those blogs with you. Just don’t stop reading my blog when you start reading these ones, k?
In alphabetical order, so as not to give any of these blogs a complex:
- The Bloggess – Her stuff is hilarious. She’s actually written two books now, which I’ve been totally meaning to get.
- Consumed by Wanderlust. Written by my friend Dr. Dan. Not super frequent these days (apparently being a super productive Assistant Professor with eleventy billion students to supervise, one million grants to work on and one gazillion papers in various stages of writing and publication, among various other endevours takes up his time or something). But always worth reading when he posts!
- Delicious Juice Dot Com – Hilariously written, this blog is by a local Vancouver woman who write about her random ideas and experiences. It’s generally NSFW – in fact, my work network blocks it, saying it’s “pornography”. It’s totally not pornography, but I’m sure Kimli would be delighted to hear it described as such.
- Dividend and Conquer – A relative newcomer to the blogging scene, my friend Michelle writes this blog about finances (including creative ways to be frugal as well as her investment experiences), plus answering legal questions (as she is a lawyer). I’m looking forward to watching this blog continue to blossom!
- Inspiration Rick – Written by my friend, Rick. This blog is a must-read if you like hiking – he blogs all the gorgeous hikes he does in the Rocky Mountains!
- Patrick Johnstone.ca – You may recall Pat as being my friend who ran for, and won a seat on, New West City Council. Pat blogs about goings on around the city, information and opinions about political issues, and, what I like the most, he writes a blog posting about every city council meeting in plain English! So I don’t have to read a giant council report (which, quite frankly, I’m not going to read) to know what issues my city council is dealing with.
- VWXYNot? – You may recall my friend Cath from our Paint Nite that confirmed our respective decisions to become scientists instead of artists as being wise decisions. She occasionally still writes on her blog and when she does, I read it. Because she’s hilarious1
- Wait But Why – His tagline of “new post every sometimes” is pretty apt, as there’s no pattern to when he posts. But absolutely, hands down worth waiting for because his posts are always interesting, well thought out, and extremely well researched. They are very, very long, so when I see one in my RSS feed, I don’t read it right away, but save it until I have a good half an hour to an hour of uninterrupted time where I can curl up with a cup of tea and become absorbed in it. I have learned a tonne from this blog and am always entertained too.
I have a tonne more blogs from which I haven’t seen posts in ages set up in my RSS feed, but I keep them there in the everlasting hope that they will one day be resurrected!
So there you have folks. Blogs are dead, long live blogs!
- She’s much more active on Twitter and is totally worth following if you like science, cats, politics, and/or tea. [↩]