So I’ve completed the first phase of my training for the powerlifting competition. My training consisted of working each of deadlift, back squat, and bench press to see if I could increase my theoretical 1 rep max. In the first week of this phase, I found my 3 rep max by testing out heavier and heavier weights until I found the maximum amount that I could lift 3 times in a row. From that, I calculated what my theoretical 1 rep max would be (using a handy dandy online calculator like this one). Then, for the following four weeks, I lifted a percentage of that max for 8 reps, then 6 reps, then 3-5 reps, and finally 2-3 reps this week.
Here are my 3 rep maxes from my first week and my theoretical 1 rep maxes calculated from those 3 rep maxes:
|Exercise||3 rep max||Theoretical 1 rep max|
|Deadlift||80 kg||84.7 kg|
|Back Squat||75 kg||79.4 kg|
|Bench Press||45.5 kg||48.2 kg|
And here are the amounts I lifted for 2 reps this week, along with my theoretical 1 rep maxes calculated from them and the % change from my first week:
|Exercise||2 rep max||Theoretical 1 rep max||% increase|
|Deadlift||87.5 kg||90 kg||6%|
|Back Squat||85 kg||87.5 kg||10%|
|Bench Press||46 kg||47.3 kg||-2%|
So that last one is a bit puzzling. I’m pretty certain that I didn’t lose strength over 5 weeks of training my bench press. I definitely feel like I’m stronger! I’m guessing that because I wasn’t actually testing to find my 2 rep max, but was just taking a guess at what I’d be able to lift for 2 reps, I must have underestimated my strength and chosen something that was less than what I could really lift for 2 reps. Though to be honest, that 46 kg felt really freaking heavy.
But look at the gains on my deadlift and squat!
And I still have 22 more days to train! I’m starting the next phase of my program on Sunday. So excited!