#14 – A List of My Go-To Meals
Well, it looks like I’m on a roll with the food topics! Here’s a list of my go-to meals – those meals I make all the time and can make pretty much with my eyes closed1:
- Egg McMaster
- whole wheat pasta with homemade tomato sauce
- vegetarian chili – which is basically just my homemade tomato sauce with kidney beans, Yves veggie ground round, chili powder & hot sauce added.
- Delish Curry Goodness – this is a spinach, tofu, chickpea and curry concoction that my sister’s bf used to woo her. So she got an awesome boyfriend and I got an awesome dinner recipe!
- homemade pizza with veggies, goat cheese and fresh basil (It’s kind of cheating because I use frozen dough from Stong’s, but it’s more homemade than (a) delivery, (b) frozen pre-made pizza, (c) pre-cooked pizza pie shell. Not that I don’t make those kinds too, but I like my “homemade” pizza the best. Tod and I watched a cooking show the other day where they cooked their pizza dough on the BBQ, so now I *totally* want to try that!
- Twitter Recipe. I call this one “Twitter Recipe” because one day I tweeted “I don’t know what to have for dinner!” and someone tweeted back a recipe. It think it took 2 tweets and then one clarification tweet and I had the recipe. In fewer than 420 characters. Basically, it’s sauteed veggies & tofu, a can of cream of mushroom (or cream of whatever you like) soup, curry paste and a can of pineapple chunks, mixed with cooked rice (or sometimes I do it with rice noodles). It’s really fast and I usually make a big pot so I have plenty of leftovers to bring to work for lunch.
- Hummus. My friend Kaede taught this one to me: nuke a can of chickpeas for ~7 mins to soften them, then throw them in a blender (I use my Magic Bullet) with tahini, fresh garlic, lemon juice. I usually add flax oil because it’s so damn good for you (and since you can’t cook flax oil, it’s nice to have a recipe to put it into). You can also add variety by including things like a roasted red pepper or chili pepper flakes.
- Guacamole. I’m a fan of simplicity when it comes to my guac. Avacado, garlic, lemon juice (and chili pepper flakes if I feel like an added kick). Blend. I like this straight up with nachoes, or inside a veggie taco or wrap with refried beans & veggies.
Can you tell it’s lunchtime?
1Hmm, maybe it’s all this cooking with my eyes closed that makes me “Not To Be Trusted With Knives.”
Read about the charity that I’m supporting, Options for Sexual Health!