Goals 2015 – 317/365ths of the year check-in
So apparently I’ve rediscovered that I have a blog. Sadly, I totally forgot that November is NaBloPoMo1 – the month where you are supposed to publish a blog posting every day – until about 2 days ago, which was 11 days to late to realize such a thing. I have, however, rebounded from one of my worst ever months for blog posting – I only posted 2 postings last month. Two! – having already posted 4 blog postings this month2 and the month isn’t even half over.
Rediscovering that I have a blog has reminded me that I have a list of goals that I aimed to accomplish this year, something I haven’t really thought about since, well, basically since I started working on the course that I’m currently teaching, which has pretty much taken over my life (outside of my day job) for the past three months3.
The last time I checked in on the list was in July, at which time I had completed 4 of my 15 +1 goals4
Well, I’m happy to report that I’m knocked 3 more items off the list:
- run two half marathons (Vancouver and Montreal)
- run 800 km (this one warrants its own blog posting!)
- add 5 new medals to my collection (as does this one)
I’m also on track to achieve:
- read 15 books in 2015 (I’ve read 14 so far5.)
- complete 15 items from my 101 list (I’ve completed 11 so far)
- bring lunch to work more often than I buy lunch at work (I currently sit at 49.7%, so I need to bump it up to at least 50.1% and I have 22 work days left in the year, so as long as I bring my lunch 12 out of those 22 days, I’ll achieve this one.)
I’m not on track, but could get back on track with a Herculean effort, for this one:
- Write 115 blog postings (I’ve published (including this one) 57 blog postings this year, which means I need to publish another 58 postings in the next 48 days (or 7.25 blog postings per week) to achieve this goal.)
I failed to achieve this one and am not going to have the opportunity again before year’s end (so I guess it goes on next year’s goals list!):
- Run a sub-2 hour half marathon.
I’ve continued to neglect:
- Complete the 100 push up challenge.
- Lose those last 5 lbs that I gained during my MBA. I
- Write a will.
- Apply for at least one research grant.
and the second and fourth ones of that aren’t going to happen without a miracle. But the first and fourth are things that I can still tackle – and now that I remember them, perhaps I will start on them!
- National Blog Posting Month. [↩]
- 5 is if you count this one that I’m writing now, which will be published by the time you read this. [↩]
- Incidentally, I teach on Wednesday nights and since yesterday was a holiday, there was no class. Which gave me a bit of a breather and reminded me about the gloriousness of having free time. Don’t get me wrong, I’m loving teaching my class, but it is so much freaking work to put together three hours of lecture ever week, plus marking, plus communicating with students and guest speakers, etc. I’m really going to enjoy the break I’ll get when this is done. [↩]
- +1 because I added in a bonus goal in that blog posting. [↩]
- A few too many of these are textbooks for my liking, but I needed to read them to prep my course and they still count! [↩]