Oh the joys of being in the early part of a millenium! I’ve been able to celebrate 6/6/6, 7/7/7, 8/8/8 and the incredible 12:34:56 7/8/9, 9/9/9 and now 10/10/101! Only two more years of this – I should probably have a number themed party on 12/12/12!
Now – a few fun facts about the number 10:
- It represented by the Roman numeral X, which apparently is meant to look like two Vs – which, of course, is the Roman numeral for 5.
- It is the basis for the decimal numeral system that we all know and love.
- It is the atomic number of neon.
- It is “the smallest noncototient, a number that cannot be expressed as the difference between any integer and the total number of coprimes below it.” (Thanks, Wikipedia, for that fact, which I’m sure we’ll all be using on a day to day basis!
- The word “decimate” literally means to reduce something by 1/10th. Like, if you killed 1 in every 10 soliders in a battle, you would say you “decimated” the opposition. Or if you at 1 of 10 slices of a cake, you could say you “decimated” that cake. Which is really odd, as I always thought that “decimate” meant to *completely* destroy (and it seems from my extensive research on the subject2, most people do use the latter meaning. This is awesome, as it gives me one more snooty way to correct people on their word usage! w00t!
- The 10th astrological sign is Capricorn. That’s *my* sign! Clearly, this means I am a perfect 10.