Is My Face Shape Changing?

Last night I went out for dinner with a couple of girlfriends that I haven’t seen in ages. When I first got to the pub, my friend Svetlana was there and one of the first things she said was, “I think your braces are changing the shape of your face.” And then when Ziba showed up, she said the same thing! And they weren’t the first people to say this to me – I went for dinner with my friend Bryn a few weeks ago and she made a similar comment. Interestingly, these are all people who haven’t seen me since before I got my braces on. People that I see on a regular basis haven’t really mentioned anything about it1.

Since I’ve been taking a photo a day for the past 259 days and counting, I decided to search through my photos to see if I could find a before braces shot and an after braces shot that show my jawline from the same angle to see if it looks like my face shape is changing. So here’s a photo from before I got my braces on (on the left, taken in July) and after my braces were installed (on the right, taken in February):

Day 16Day 239

It’s subtle, but I think I can see a difference. What do you think?

1. presumably because the change happens somewhat slowly and thus is less noticeable if you see me regularly []

6 Responses to Is My Face Shape Changing?

1. Lianna says:

It’s subtle – have you lost weight too?

Haven’t lost any weight between those two photos.

3. Stacy says:

Your face does look slimmer, but it’s not a huge difference. You look good though.

I didn’t notice at Christmas… but in the photos, your face in the “after” photo definitely looks slimmer. Maybe you’ve reduced your bodyfat and increased your muscle mass?

Well, I may have done that between, say, July & Oct (when I ran my last half marathon), but seeing as I really haven’t been doing much in the way of physical activity since Oct, I would think that I’d have regained said fat and lost said muscle mass by the time the “after” photo was taken.

6. Dan says:

I agree – you look slimmer in the second photo. Perhaps you are working out while you sleep?