I Also Heart Coffee
So, we’ve all heard that buying coffee is one of the big ways that a lot of people blow huge amounts of money without even realizing it. Drink a coffee a day? If it’s simple $2 coffee, that’s $730 a year… and if it’s a $5 fru fru Starbucks drink, you’re talking $1,825 a year! That’s enough to cover my car insurance for the year… or almost three months rent1!!
So, how much cheaper is it to make coffee at home? Well, being the scientist that I am, I decided to do some fancy pants maths to figure that out. Where by “fancy pants maths” I mean counting how many pots of coffee I can make from a bag of beans. Now, I’m a bit of a coffee snob, so I won’t drink cheap, crappy coffee. My coffee of choice is Fair Trade Organic Bolivian from Level Ground Trading2 A 300 g bag of this deliciousness makes ~500 fluid oz of coffee. If you divide that up into 12 oz3 cups, that’s 42 coffees. And though a 300 g bag of beans officially costs $15, I always stock up on it when it’s on sale for $114. That works out to 26 cents per 12 oz cup.
Let me me say that again:
- 12 oz cup of coffee at a coffee shop = ~$2.00
- 12 oz cup of coffee at home = $0.26!
That’s EIGHT TIMES cheaper! Even if I paid full price for the beans, it would still only be $0.36 per 12 oz cup! And remember, I’m not talking about some crappy tasting coffee – this is fair trade, organic and absolutely delicious! In fact, I actually like my homemade coffee more than stuff from a coffee shop!
Given my cheapness, I’ve been pretty good about not buying coffees out since I’ve been on my budget, but even *I* didn’t realize that that making it at home was so much cheaper! Now that I’ve done the math, I have a really, really hard time buying coffees!
- granted, I do have pretty cheap rent [↩]
- as usual, I have no financial interest in this company. I know it’s surprising, but they haven’t paid me off for this endorsement. Though, for the record, I’d *totally* take a bribe in the form of free samples. I’m just sayin’. [↩]
- or a Starbucks tall [↩]
- and on very special days, it’ll be on sale for $9, and then I *really* stock up! [↩]