Since the NHL regular season starts tonight (huzzah!), I had to pick my players for Cath’s fantasy hockey pool last night. The pool is a little different than the one I was in last year, where there was a draft and then that was your team for the whole year. In the pool I’m in now, the rules are a little more complicated.
- We are required to pick: 6 forwards, 4 defencemen, 2 goalies
- You pick 3 “star” players (1 of your forwards, 1 of your defencemen, and 1 of your goalies). For those three players, you get double points for all the points they score for you (based on goals/assists for forwards and D-men, and wins/shutouts for goalies).
- Each player is assigned a point value (1-4) based on how good they are predicted to be and the “salary cap” for your team is 30 points.
- You can change your picks every week.
Anyhoo, I decided that I should probably make a list of hotties from which to draw. I started by going through the leading scorers from last season, picking out the hotties, which gave me the following list to start from (format: name – team – position – # points last year):
- Martin St. Louis – Tampa Bay – right wing – 99 points
- Jarome Iginla – Calgary – right wing – 86 points
- Brad Richards – Dallas – centre – 77 points
- Jonathan Toews – Chicago – centre – 76 points
- Ryan Kesler ((I don’t actually find Kesler’s face all that attractive, but those abs alone make him a hottie! In fact, I wanted to just pick “Ryan Kesler’s abs,” but that doesn’t seem to be an option.)) – Vancouver – centre – 73 points
- Patrick Kane – Chicago – centre – 73 points
- Ryane Clowe – San Jose -left wing – 62 points
- Mikko Koivu – Minnesota – centre – 62 points
- Dustin Brown – LA – right wing – 57 points
- Devin Setoguchi – Minnesota – right wing – 41 points1
- Kris Letang – Pittsburgh – defence – 50 points
- Shea Weber2 – Nashville – defence – 48 points
- Brent Seabrook – Chicago – defence – 48 points
- Alex Pietrangelo – St. Louis – defence – 43 points
From this list, I went onto the hockey pool website and made some choices. I had to do some juggling because of the stupid salary cap, but this is what I ultimately ended up with for this week:
And now in photographic form:
Martin St. Louis